Hakai Lodge: The Finest Fishing Hideaway You’ve Never Heard Of
Tucked off the shore of a remote British Columbia island—over 100 miles from the nearest town and accessible only by seaplane—floats a rustic world-class fishing hideaway. Guests of Hakai Lodge enjoy abundant trophy-salmon fishing, regular wildlife sightings, pristine scenery (including miles of white sandy beaches), a professional chef, and a staff that treats each and every guest like family.
It’s not just hardcore fishermen who seek out Hakai Lodge for a once-in-a-lifetime fishing adventure—but families as well. Because Hakai can accommodate up to 35 guests at a time, regular folks book Hakai Lodge for family reunions, company retreats, and multi-generational fishing adventures.
They Needed a New Approach to Marketing
When Clyde Carlson heard that Hakai Lodge was up for sale, he had to make a decision: He could take the hit to his airline business (which serviced guests at Hakai)—or he could buy the lodge.
You guessed it… Clyde bought the lodge. Handing the airline reins to his son, Clyde dove headfirst into learning the adventure travel business. He knew that running a remote, floating lodge came with its own challenges—and he would have to be smart about how he managed his marketing. Printing and mailing thousands of brochures each year probably wasn’t going to do the trick anymore. He needed a new approach. Clyde decided to give email marketing a try.
So We Gave Them a Reel Plan
When we heard about all that Hakai had to offer, we were thrilled to help them with their email strategy:
- First, we identified their voice, communication style, and audience.
- Next, we came up with ideas to build their list: A SuperCollector™ with an annual trip giveaway to incentivize website visitors to sign up for emails, and a series of automated welcome messages.
- Then we implemented monthly messages with a custom email template design, to tell of the great fishing stories and memorable experiences people were having at the lodge.
- Finally, we came up with a system for keeping Clyde’s marketing machine afloat during the time of the year he’s completely unreachable.
- As a bonus, we included a “site visit” so our CEO could interview guests and staff for future content and record some fishing tips.
And Sold Out Their Season
The results? Clyde’s bookings increased a whopping 37% with 2017 being their best season ever. Then in 2018, they hosted over 300 guests during their brief 50-day season, smashing the previous record year and effectively selling out their season. Hakai Lodge consistently receives sky-high open and click-through rates. We keep their audience engaged month after month so that when it’s time to book that once-in-a-lifetime fishing adventure, Hakai Lodge is the first thing that comes to mind. Just let Clyde tell it:
What Our Customers Are Saying
“Before we started working with Email Broadcast, we were doing our own email marketing and it wasn’t paying off. Since they took over, our bookings were immediately up 37% and we had our best year ever.”
—Clyde Carlson, Hakai Lodge
Does Your Business Need a New Approach to Marketing?
If you own an adventure travel business, you’re probably wondering if your marketing approach is working. Maybe you’ve even tried your hand at email, but felt overwhelmed by the details and time it takes. You may be asking:
- What’s the best “send time” for my industry?
- What’s the difference between open rates and click-through rates?
- What are the catchiest email subject lines?
- What should my welcome series be about?
- How do I write flawless copy?
- WTF is a SuperCollector™?
You’ve come to the right place—our team geeks out on this stuff. To find out if our email service and your travel business is a match made in heaven, book a free 20-minute consult with the founder of Email Broadcast (and fellow fisherman/adventurer), Ken Mahar.
How It Works
Transform your email marketing in three easy steps:
Win More Business
This is where we execute a world-class email campaign to help you win more business while you celebrate, breathe a sigh of relief, and move on to your next project.
Book an Appointment
Schedule your free 20-minute consultation to see if your business can profit from expert email marketing.