How to Use Mailchimp
Welcome to the wonderful world of email marketing! You’ve heard the stats and incredible results that email marketing can have on your business, and you’re ready to get started. (Good call.) We’ve given you some DIY instructions below, or you can get our help by booking an appointment.
How to Use Mailchimp in Four Steps
Step 1: Create an Account
If you haven’t already, create a Mailchimp account. You’ll need the following information on hand:
- Email address
- Organization name and details (they’ll ask you some questions)
- Website URL
- Physical address
You’ll also need to verify your account before you can proceed. At this point, you can log in to your new account and add any additional users who may need access. You may also want to share this article on how to use Mailchimp with them so they’re not left in the dark.
Step 2: Add Your Audience
Now it’s time to figure out exactly who you’ll be talking to through your email marketing. Your audience will probably include current, prospective, and former customers—though you don’t have to talk to them all at the same time. (Segmenting your audience is a wonderful thing!) The most important task is to gather all your up-to-date contact records to add to your Mailchimp audience.
Mailchimp has import tools that make building your audience easy. There are three ways to add audience members:
- Upload a comma-separated value file (CSV)
- Copy and paste contacts from a spreadsheet like Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel
- Type information directly into the import table (although that could take a while!)
This article will walk you through your options for how to use Mailchimp to add your audience when you’re ready.
Step 3: Customize Your Sign-Up Form
No audience? No problem. You can learn how to use Mailchimp to create a sign-up form for your website to collect new contacts for your list. In fact, Mailchimp automatically generates a sign-up form for your website or Facebook page. Additionally, you can take the sign-up form a step further and customize it to fit your brand and voice.
To access your Mailchimp sign-up form, follow these steps:
- Click the Audience icon on the left-hand toolbar.
- Then select the Audience Dashboard.
- Click the Manage Audience drop-down and choose Signup forms.
- Select Form Builder.
- Click the Forms and Response Emails drop-down menu and choose which form you want to edit.
- Click the Design It tab.
- Then select the Page, Body, Forms, and Referral tabs to review the customization options. Use the fields and drop-down menus to make any changes you want to the styles, colors, and fields. (Mailchimp will save your changes automatically.)
- When you’re finished, click Save & Close.
For more detailed information, learn how the form builder works.
Step 4: Create Your Campaign
Learning how to use Mailchimp isn’t so daunting after all. Now you’re ready to start creating your first campaign! You have the power to use Mailchimp for automations, ads, and social campaigns—but we’ll start with the most basic: email campaigns.
In your Mailchimp account, start with the following steps:
- Click the Create icon in the left-hand toolbar (the icon that looks like a pencil).
- Choose Email from your list of campaign options.
- Select Regular, which means you’re sending a single campaign, not creating an automated sales funnel or split test.
- Enter a campaign name and click Begin.
If You Need Help – We’re The Mailchimp Pros
Once you get your footing on how to use Mailchimp, now you may be ready for more advanced options. But if coding and graphic design isn’t your area of expertise, it may be time to bring in the Mailchimp experts and use a full-service email marketing agency.
Whether you need help with how to use Mailchimp or would like to hand over the reins entirely, your first step is to book a 20-minute consultation to see if we’re a good fit.